Work Permit

There are 2 types of work permits Open work permits and employer specific work permits

Open Work Permit

This is not job-specific work permit and this work permit allow the candidate to work for any employer in Canada.

It does not require LMIA or job offer in order to work for an employer

Below are some of the situations which makes a candidate
eligible to apply for Open work permit

01 International student graduated from DLI and eligible to apply for Post Graduate work permit
02 Permanent residence applicant in Canada
03 Dependent family member of Permanent residence applicant
04 Spouse of International students or skilled worker
05 Spouse of Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen etc
Closed Work Permit

Employer restricted Work Permit – This is also known as closed work permit which allows a foreign worker to work for a specific employer for a defined period of time and at specified location. These are limitation for Employer specific work permit

Specific Employer for which foreign worker can work for
Time period of employment is defined
Location is also defined

Closed Work Permit require LMIA or in some cases its LMIA exempt

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

LMIA is a verification process by which Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) verify that hiring the foreign worker will not impact the job market of Canada.

The ESDC assess the process on various parameters. In order to fill the labour shortage, the employers can request to hire Temporary Foreign Worker which can be done by positive LMIA.

The LMIA confirms that there is a need of TFW to fill the labour shortage which means that there is no Canadian and Permanent Resident is available to do the particular job for which a LMIA can be done

LMIA can be applied by business with legitimate business and in operation for at least 1 year To apply for work permit, TFW require

The LMIA confirmation letter
Job offer letter must be signed by employer and foreign worker
Job contract signed by both the parties
LMIA number
Spousal Open Work Permit

It is an open work permit which can be applied by spouses or common law partner of International Students studying full time in Canadian DLIs having

Valid Study Permit
Eligible for Post Graduate Work permit
Full time student at one of the below school types
01 a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
02 a private college-level school in Quebec
03 a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)
04 Duration of the Work permit is equivalent to duration of the Study permit

With Open work permit Spouse can work full time with any employer for a specified period of time. Graduates who receive PGWP their spouses or common-law partner is eligible for Open Work Permit for the same duration as the principal Work permit holder

Open work permit can also be applied by the Spouses or common law partners of TFW working in NOC O, A or B job category.

Co-op Work Permit

It can be applied by the students who are studying in Canadian DLIs - college / institute / university. The course should have the co-op component, based Co-op work authorization student can apply for a Co-Op Work Permit.


The institute should issue letter with requirement to complete co-op component of the program.
Co-op component cannot exceed 50% of the duration of the program
In work permit application institute name should be mentioned as employer.
Bridging Open Work Permit

It can be applied by those applicants who have applied for Permanent Residence. This can allow the applicant to work till the Permanent Residence application result not received. Below are the requirements for BOWP

The applicant must be in Canada (outside Quebec)
The work permit of the applicant should be valid and will be expiring soon
The principal applicant of Permanent resident application can apply for BOWP
The Permanent Resident application must have the completeness check and waiting for result

The applicant may be eligible for BOWP if the applicant have applied to one of the permanent residence programs below.

Permanent residence using Express Entry
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Quebec skilled workers
Home Child-Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot
Caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class
Agri-Food Pilot
Post Graduation Work Permit

Students who have graduated from eligible Canadian DLIs must apply for Post Graduate Work Permit to gain the Canadian work experience. Students who have complete the studies are allowed to work while they are waiting for the decision on Post Graduate Work Permit application. The students must meet all below criteria

The student must hold study permit or were holding study permit at the time of PGWP application
Student enrolled as full-time student at a DLI
Student must be authorized to work off campus without work permit
Student must not exceed the allowable hours of work.
Student must within 180 days after receiving your transcripts
The program duration should not be less than 8 months. Less than 8 months of programs are not eligible for PGWP

PGWP is issued only once, and it cannot be extended.

Extension or Change of Conditions on the Work Permit

The extension of Work permit can be done before the status is expired. To keep the implied status the application should be submitted in time


The applicant must have a valid work permit
The application must be submitted at least 30 days before the expiry of the current valid work permit
Have a valid passport exceeding the duration of the work permit (work permit duration cannot exceed the validity of your passport)BOWP
Chat with us